Friday, January 4, 2008

Driving Grandma

In the recent past, I have gone on a couple of road trips with Grandma. Though frustrating, they are inevitably chock full of funny lines and memorable conversations. One weekend I took Grandma to Lake Placid. Just me and her :) My parents were out of town, so I kidnapped her so I could work on the house up there. US-27 is not a bad road; I think people hate on it more than it deserves. It's scenic, and doesn't take much longer than other ways like the Turnpike. Nonetheless, there is this stretch, this god-forsaken stretch, when one gets off of/passes by I-75 and heads north towards Lake Okeechobee. There is nothing to be seen. And I'm sorry, but a person could go crazy with nothing to look at or say or do. So, what does one do when bored and with the company of grandma? (hehehe) I would say something obnoxious like: "I'm so tired (yawn). I think I'll take a little nap. Can you keep an eye on things for me?" This might not have been a big deal, were I not driving at 70 miles an hour. She said no, but I went ahead and closed my eyes. *wink wink- I only closed my right eye. Within seconds, she was pounding on my right arm, insisting, "Anne Marie! Open your eyes! This isn't funny!"
That got me through at least 5 minutes of boredom. And then I would start all over again. The best part of this story is, when we got back into Miami, she turned to me and said, "Anne Marie, you are such a safe driver; not speeding or changing lanes. Thank you, sweetie."
Of course I just said "Thank you" back. Nevermind that I was thanking her for keeping me awake.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Hehehe...I LOVE this story about Grandma...You're a little mean, though, don't do it when I'M in the car:)